I wanted to find the very best chinchilla dust bath house, so I tested a number of products and found the Kaytee Chinchilla Bath House to tick the boxes for a perfect all-rounder product.
As a small animal owner, I know how important dust baths can be. They not only help keep certain small animals like chinchillas, gerbils, and degus clean but are a great form of entertainment too.
As any chinchilla owner knows, they can’t get wet, so normal baths are out. That’s why it’s vital to find a suitable dust or sand and then the perfect dust bath house to make bathtime an enjoyable experience for your chilly and you!
That’s why I love the Kaytee Chinchilla Bath House. It literally takes all the hard work out of setting up a dust bath for your chilly. It’s a perfect size, sturdily made, and even comes with a sample sachet of Kaytee’s chinchilla dust so you can see how your chilly gets on with it before committing to a particular dust.
That said, not everybody reading this will be new to chinchilla dust baths. The lure of a free sample may not have enough sway to convince experienced owners that this is the dust bath house for them. Seasoned chilly owners will find plenty of other options to choose from, including the Living World Chinchilla Bath House which neatly doubles up as an in-cage nesting box when not in use at bath time.
Owners who live in warmer parts of the country will adore the cooling properties of the PandemoniumPet Large Ceramic Chinchilla House. It’s recommended that those in humid areas bathe their chillies more frequently. Keep your chillies both clean and cool with this ceramic dust bath house.
It can be a real challenge to sift through all the dust and sand (excuse the pun) to find the best chinchilla dust bath house for your own furry pal. Read on to find our top 6 chinchilla dust bath houses and find out what sets them apart before choosing the right chinchilla dust bath house for your chilly!
- The Best Chinchilla Dust Bath House Reviews
- Kaytee Chinchilla Bath House — Best Chinchilla Bath House Overall
- Balacoo Large Ceramic Chinchilla House — Best Ceramic Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- Pinvnby Sand Bath Box — Best Wooden Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- Lixit Chinchilla Dry Bath — Best Large Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- Living World Chinchilla Bath House — Best In-Cage Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- Kathson Chinchilla Sand Bath House — Tidiest Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- DIY Chinchilla Dust Bath Houses
- What to Look For When Buying a Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- Buying a Chinchilla Dust Bath House FAQs
- Buying a Chinchilla Dust Bath House — What Next?
The Best Chinchilla Dust Bath House Reviews
Do you want a new bath house for your chilly but have no idea where to begin? We’ve got you covered – check out our selection of the best chinchilla dust bath houses around to help you make the right choice for yourself and your chinchilla.
Kaytee Chinchilla Bath House — Best Chinchilla Bath House Overall
If you’re looking for a well-proportioned bath house that is super sturdy and will keep the majority of dust inside the bath, where it belongs, then look no further than Kaytee’s Chinchilla Bath House.
This is the perfect choice if you’re new to dust baths and want a suitable house to get your chilly started. It even comes with a sample of Kaytee’s own chinchilla dust so you’re ready to go as soon as you’ve made this purchase.
At over 9 inches in length, this bath house is one of the larger options available. This is great if your chilly is a little on the chunky side or you have a couple of chinchilla pals who are inseparable even at bathtime.
For those of us who dread the thought of dust flying all over, this bath house is a sound choice. Almost fully enclosed except for the small entrance hole, most of the dust will remain in the bath and not all over your home.
Another great feature is that this chinchilla dust bath house is compatible with both in-cage and outside bath times. You can leave this dust bath house free-standing or attach it to the cage wires if your chillies get particularly raucous at bathtime and you’re worried they will tip over.
These solidly constructed houses will last a possible lifetime. One owner on chewy.com even said that they “last forever too, I’ve had mine for 9 years now and just wash out with warm soapy water when needed.” So if you’re looking for a chinchilla dust bath house that will stand the test of time, this is the one!
This dust bath house comes in a range of colors including purple, pink and blue. However, they’re usually shipped at random so it isn’t ideal if you have your heart set on a particular colorway. That said, the super cute house shape means your chilly will look extra adorable come bath time, whatever colorway you end up with.
There are a couple of issues with this bath house. The first is that if you’re looking for a plastic-free alternative, this is obviously not going to tick that box. If you’re worried about your chilly chewing up plastic or you simply prefer a more eco-friendly choice, there are other options on the list better suited.
The other negative point is that it is more difficult to clean due to single-piece construction. The cleaning process can end up quite fiddly, reaching through the little entrance hole to give it a wipe down.
- 9.25” L x 9” W x 8.5” H
- Almost fully enclosed
- Large size
- Comes with a sample chinchilla dust bath
- 100% plastic construction
- Does not come apart for easy cleaning
Balacoo Large Ceramic Chinchilla House — Best Ceramic Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- Made of durable chew proof ceramic material, easy to clean and resistant to odors.
- Adorable ceramic house helps greatly to cooling, provides a cool nest for small animal to play and rest.
- Adorable, small animals can be attracted attention and increase the fun of raising. Ideal for hamsters and similar-sized animals.
- Unique cute shape design, it can be also used as small things storage box,Fish Tank,dog bowl or home decor.
- Size - S: 7.3x7.3x7.8cm; L: 8.8x8.8x9.7cm.Warm tip, please make sure the size is right for your friend before you buy.
If a plastic chinchilla dust bath house is a big no-no in your book but you still want an easy to clean alternative, consider the Large Ceramic Chinchilla House from Balacoo.
It can be difficult to source a ceramic dust bath house that is actually large enough to comfortably fit a chinchilla in. Most searches bring back dust bath houses that are actually only suitable for much smaller pets such as gerbils and dwarf hamsters, so it’s important you check the dimensions before adding to your basket.
That’s why I love the Balacoo option. It’s specifically made for multiple sizes so you know they’ll have plenty of room to clean off those excess oils and grime. They’ll also love the cooling properties of ceramic. If you live in a hotter part of the country, pair this ceramic chinchilla dust bath house with a granite chinchilla ledge to combat stress and keep your chinchilla’s temperature at an optimum level.
The base of the dust bath house is fairly high with the entrance situated midway up the wall to prevent excess dust flying while your chilly bathes. Ceramic is also ultra-easy to clean. Just wipe out after every bath for clean-up that’s a breeze.
Balacoo’s Ceramic Chinchilla House is handmade and comes in a choice of colors including pink, teal, or yellow.
And I haven’t even mentioned the ears on this design yet! Taking inspiration from a chilly’s gorgeous shape and dimensions, this dust bath house is so cute while also being super functional.
This Ceramic Chinchilla House is the most expensive option on the list and costs more than double some of the other choices we have covered. But if you’re the type of owner who likes to buy from independent businesses then this is definitely an option worthy of consideration.
While ceramic dust bath houses are the perfect option for warmer, humid climates, you do need to be more careful with them as they can smash when dropped. So if you’re a clumsy cleaner, consider a wood or plastic choice instead.
- 7.3” L x 7.3” W x 7.8” H or 8.8″ L x 8.8″ W x 9.7″ H
- Perfect to keep your chinchilla cool
- Easy to clean
- Choice of colors
- Can smash if dropped
Pinvnby Sand Bath Box — Best Wooden Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- 【SIZE】: The measurements of the sandbox are 11.8-inch L x 7.8-inch W, please be sure if your hamster cage or habitats has enough space to put into it before purchasing. Hamsters love bathing in sands to remove excess oils for keeping coat thick and glossy,and we designed this large sand pool for them to evoke the wildness of their habitat.
- 【EASY TO USE】: First, you need to place the wooden stair close to the side of sand box with a recess. Then, put the half cover on the sand box, which will fix the stair at the same time. Finally, place the pet bowl on the half cover and pour the sand into the box. Your pet will get a perfect habitats bathtub.Besides, the natural wood will provide a safe environment for your little guy to have fun there.
- 【NATURAL & DURABLE DESIGN】: Hamsters don't like bright lights. They always sleep in dark places.Because of this habit, we've got a lid for your little pet to block out the light, so your little animal can take a nap after a bath.The wooden roof is removable to allow you to clean the sandbox. Made From High-quality Birch Wood without nails, pet-safe and sturdy material while keeps its shape well and prevent waterlogging.
- 【PACKAGE INCLUDING】: It also has a ladder and a small bowl & 125 ml water bottle .The small animals can climb the ladder to the roof. Comes with a wooden bowl - It's highly recommended to provide some treats or snacks in bowls to supple energy for an 'exhausting' hamster.The stainless steel drinking head of the bottle has a small roller ball that makes it easy for your pets to drink their fill without too much effort.
- 【FUN DIGGING TIME】: If your cute hamster likes to spend a lot of time in the sand, he will love our wooden sand pit, where he has plenty of room for bathing and sand digging. When you don't have time to play with your hamster, you can put him in this box and let him play on his own, reducing stress and boredom for your cute little pet.
If your chillies love to chew and the idea of a plastic dust bath house has you worried, consider a wooden alternative like Pinvnby’s Sand Bath Box. It’s constructed from birch wood and only pet-safe materials for your added peace of mind.
This wooden chinchilla sand bath house is huge, measuring over 11 inches in length so is perfect if you have a couple of chinchillas who love to share a bath together.
The partially open top means that access is really easy, particularly if you have an older chilly who is less mobile than they used to be. A removable roof makes cleaning simple. You also have the option to remove any soiled dust and reuse any clean leftovers — this is difficult with some options where you have to tip away all of the dust you’ve used.
Pinvnby also offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee with a refund or exchange promised if you’re unhappy with your purchase.
The biggest downside to this chinchilla bath house is the mess it can create. While the sides are fairly high, the amount of open space above means that dust can really go flying if your chillies are having a particularly active bathtime. If you prefer using sand rather than dust with your chillies, this is less of a problem as the particles are coarser and do not puff up in the air like dust.
As with any wooden chinchilla toys, they will absorb any pee so can end up smelling after a time. If you prefer an easy-clean option that will not deteriorate over time, choose a different option from the list.
- 11.6” L x 8.1” W x 4.1” H
- Encourages playtime
- Huge bathing area
- Open topped – can get messy!
- Will absorb pee
Lixit Chinchilla Dry Bath — Best Large Chinchilla Dust Bath House
Whether you have a chubby little chinchilla or you have a couple of chillies who can’t bear the thought of a moment apart, the Lixit Chinchilla Dry Bath is the perfect option if extra space is a must.
You’ll struggle to find a chinchilla dust bath house that offers more room than this 14-inch long option. It’s also wider than a lot of other options so is best suited for owners who prefer their chillies to bathe outside of their cage.
The entrance is smartly situated on the top to reduce the amount of dust kicked out during bathtime. However, the clever sloping design of the lid ensures access is still easy enough and does not require any particular athleticism from your chilly. Even older chinchillas will be able to climb in by using the lip of the lid as an extra step up.
Cleaning is lightning fast, despite the size of this dust bath house. Just unclip the lid from the base and remove any soiled dust, storing the clean dust for next time.
As with a few other options on the list, this is a completely plastic dust bath house so won’t appeal to owners who prefer other materials for their chillies’ toys. The plastic is also lighter than other materials and, with no way of securing this bath house, more energetic chillies can tip it over. Supervised bathtimes make this less of an issue if you have reflexes quick enough to catch it as it tips!
- 14” L x 9“ W x 6” H
- Huge size ideal for multiple chinchillas
- Easy to clean
- Partially enclosed for tidier bathtimes
- Entirely plastic
- Easily tipped by bigger chinchillas
Living World Chinchilla Bath House — Best In-Cage Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- Sphere bottom ensures complete contact between the chinchilla and bath sand.
- Unique design helps prevent mess and retains sand inside the bath house
- Removable transparent cover for easy cleaning
- Made from strong durable plastic
- Fits most wire cages.
If you’re looking for a chinchilla dust bath house that is suitable to place inside your chilly’s cage, choose the Living World Chinchilla Bath House.
It is the only multifunctional option on the list. It’s ideal for new owners that want a healthy starting piece for their cage as this bath house suits a variety of your chilly’s needs. Nestle the chinchilla bath house in the bottom of the cage or, for a further challenge, suspend higher up on the cage bars to your chinchillas have to climb up for bathtime.
Living World is known in the pet industry for its innovative designs and this chinchilla dust bath house is no different. When not in use as a bath, it doubles up as a nest as well. Simply remove the dust and fill it with bedding for a cozy hideaway.
I didn’t expect to find a chinchilla dust bath house that offered such multifunctionality, though I’m not surprised that it’s offered by a Living World product.
This chinchilla bath house has mess-control in mind. The domed lid helps to funnel the dust back into the bath rather than releasing it into the open so any mess stays to a minimum. And when it comes to tidying up, the lid pops off for easy dust removal.
Yet another plastic construction, this will concern owners who dislike leaving anything plastic in their chilly’s cage in case of chewing.
Chilly owners have commented that the size of this chinchilla dust bath house came as a surprise to them so ensure your cage has enough space to accommodate this before buying.
- 11.4” L x 6.72” W x 6.72” H
- Multifunctional use – use as a dust bath or a nest
- Designed to contain more dust for less messy bathtimes
- Attachable to cage bars for a sturdier bath
- Completely plastic
- Takes up a lot of space
Kathson Chinchilla Sand Bath House — Tidiest Chinchilla Dust Bath House
- MATERIAL: The hamster sand bath is made of plastic material, the product is well made, sturdy, easy to assemble and clean. Plastic material is safe for your pets, and there has 2 colors for your choice(blue or pink).
- SIZE: Plastic sand bathroom: 9.6 x 7 x 7.1 inch, the bath sand's weight: 2 LB (about 908 g). The scoop length: 4.3 inch. Ideal for smaller chinchilla, hamster, gerbil and so on, but not for grown chinchilla. Make sure it is suitable for your pet before purchase.
- Keep your furry friend happy: Sand baths are not only sanitary and beneficial to your pet’s health, they also offer them a great way to have fun and entertainment! Which is quite funny and it does help to keep his play area clean.
- Clean & Effective: Let him have a dust bath and see him rolling around in, or use as a house for your furry friends. Keep your pets clean and save your time.
- PACKAGE LISTING: 1 x hamster bathtub, 1 x bag bath sand, 1 x scoop. It's recommended to use bath sand every 1-3 days in summer, every 3-5 days in winter, and once a day in wet weather.The bath sand is recommended to be discarded after 3-4 times and replaced with a new bath sand.
If you love the idea of a dust bath for your chilly but the thought of the mess has you breaking out in hives, the Kathson Chinchilla Sand Bath House is the ideal solution.
It features an ‘anti-sprinkle curtain’ (a chinchilla-sized cat-flap to you and me) that makes entry and exits easy but helps keep dust or sand inside the bath house rather than all over your home. You do also have the option of removing the door flap if your chinchilla prefers it without.
The transparent lid makes up about two-thirds of the overall design so you can enjoy watching your chinchilla as they bathe. The lid also detaches with ease (though not easy enough for your chilly to wrench it open mid-bath) so that cleaning is quick and simple too.
The Kathson Chinchilla Sand Bath House comes in both blue and pink, though whether you get to choose depends on your choice of supplier.
Kathson is another company that offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
This is one of the smaller options on the list, so is best suited to younger chinchillas and won’t provide the space for multiple chillies to bathe at the same time. If you have an inseparably bonded pair, consider buying one of the larger options on the list.
- 9.6” L x 7” W x 7” H
- Anti-sprinkle curtain to keep dust in
- Transparent lid
- Easy to take apart and clean
- Too small for adult chinchillas
- 100% Plastic
DIY Chinchilla Dust Bath Houses
If your chilly is in dire need of a bath and your dust bath house hasn’t arrived yet, you can fashion a DIY chinchilla dust bath house from other containers found in the home such as an angled glass cookie jar or a high sided toy box.
However, using a properly designed dust bath house will help contain dust clouds and keep mess to a minimum where possible. With lids that funnel mess back into the dust bath house, you’re likely to spend a great deal more time cleaning up after your chilly’s bath if you make do with what you’ve got laying around the home.
What to Look For When Buying a Chinchilla Dust Bath House
When choosing the right chinchilla dust bath house for your chilly. Follow our guide to ensure you choose a bath house that will suit your chilly’s size and bathing style.
Chinchilla dust bath houses are available in the usual materials you’d find in chinchilla toys. Plastic is the most popular material, though wood and ceramic dust bath houses are also available.
Many owners choose not to give their chillies plastic toys and try to keep plastic within their cages to a minimum due to how much chillies love to chew. Because dust bath houses get removed when not in use, this is much less problematic than with other toys left in unsupervised cages.
If chewing is still a concern, a wooden chinchilla bath house will keep your worries at bay, though it will absorb any pee and may smell after a while.
Alternatively, ceramic has excellent cooling properties which are perfect for chillies who suffer stress if their temperature gets too high. It is non-absorbant and easy to wipe down. However, it can be difficult to find ceramic dust bath houses that are large enough for chinchillas.
Chinchillas are one of the largest small pets, growing to between 9 and 14 inches so it’s vitally important to choose a bath that will accommodate their size. Pay close attention to the dimensions of any given dust bath house before purchase. Smaller dust bath houses are great for younger chillies but will need upgrading as your chilly grows.
Chinchilla dust bath houses can range from around $10 to upwards of $50 and depends on the size, material, and manufacturer. Cheaper options aren’t always the most cost-effective as they are often made of flimsier material and so need replacing sooner than pricier choices.
Potential Side Effects of Avoiding Dust Baths
It’s important to bathe your chinchillas frequently but to limit the amount of time they spend in each bath. Over-bathing can lead to dry skin and fur but can also result in more problematic conditions such as eye irritation and conjunctivitis.
Some chinchillas find particular types of dust irritate their lungs also so be sure to monitor your chillies as they bathe and watch out for any sign of discomfort. Be sure to choose single-ingredient dust to use with your chinchilla dust bath house to minimize any risk of irritation.
Buying a Chinchilla Dust Bath House FAQs
Buying a Chinchilla Dust Bath House — What Next?
As any chinchilla owner knows, a dust bath is vital to keep your chinchilla looking and feeling great. However, finding a chinchilla dust bath house that is big enough for your chilly and won’t send dust flying around your home is easier said than done.
That’s why Kaytee’s Chinchilla Bath House is the perfect starter option and my favorite overall. Complete with a sample dust sachet, you’ll learn how much dust to use and keep it nicely contained in this solid and long-lasting dust bath house.
The Pinvinby Sand Bath Box is fantastic if you’re less concerned about the mess and want your chillies to enjoy a spacious plastic-free bathtime. Its open-topped wood construction means you can enjoy your chillies bath from any angle. But if cleanliness is your number one priority, choose the Kathson Chinchilla Sand Bath House to keep the mess to an absolute minimum.
If you’re looking for a chinchilla dust bath house that is big enough for your chilly to enjoy their bath time and keeps dust clouds in check, revisit my reviews and find one that’s perfect for you. Now just sprinkle in the chinchilla dust and watch your chilly enjoy their new favorite activity!
Want a some bathing dust to go with your new house? Check out our favorite ones below – as well as some extras!