Bearded dragon are great pets. They have become the most sought-after pets for some good reasons. Pet lovers would like to keep them for their amazing appearance that is a lot similar to a miniature dinosaur. They also come in different and exciting colors. Many breeders have bred some amusing morphs of these gentle dragons. They are also quite docile and easy to maintain. Once you get to learn their ways, it will be easy for you to manage them. And as they live for a decade and more years, you will enjoy years and years of entertainment.
If ever you decide to keep one or a few of these bearded dragons, you may still have to think about how to keep them in their makeshift home. This takes planning and careful consideration of their needs. You don’t just need to identify the kind of tank they may require for their home, you will also have to select the right lighting and decor for their house. Finally, you will need to duplicate the temperature within their original habitat as it is vital to the bearded dragon’s health and well-being. Once you have learned and get used to all these things, you can keep your bearded dragon happy throughout the long years that both of you will be together.
This guide will help you give him the best home that he can have.
- Choosing the Material for the Tank Fit For bearded Dragons
- Top 10 Best Bearded Dragon Cages
- 1. Carolina Custom Cages Terrarium; Easy Assembly
- 2. Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium
- 3. Tetra Deluxe Aquatic Turtle Kit
- 4. Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Aluminum Screen Habitat
- 5. KollerCraft Flat-Backed Reptile Habitat
- 6. Zilla Fresh Air Screen Habitat
- 7. Zilla Tropical Starter Kit for Reptiles
- 8. Zoo Med Laboratories ReptiHabitat
- 9. Southern Enterprises Terrarium
- 10. SeaClear 40 gal Acrylic Aquarium Combo Set
- What features are part of the best bearded dragon cage?
- Other necessary items
Choosing the Material for the Tank Fit For bearded Dragons
The followings are important factors to note when choosing the materials for the tank fit for bearded dragons.
It is important to consider the floor space into account when acquiring an enclosure for a bearded dragon. Bearded dragons need more horizontal floor space than vertical space as they are not great climbers like chameleons or geckos. This makes tanks that have roomy floor space better suited for bearded dragons than tanks with high sides. The size of your tank depends on how large your dragon is. The larger your dragon, the bigger the cage it will need. Baby Bearded dragons, for instance, need a 20-gallon tank. Larger (10-16 inches) dragons will need a tank of at least 40 gallons.
It does not hurt to get a tank larger than the minimum sizes mentioned above. Doing so will make your dragon happy. The rule here is to ensure your dragon has enough room. It is a good idea to get the largest tank you expect you’ll need, rather than working up through progressively larger tanks. For instance, instead of starting with a small 20-gallon tank and then buying larger 40, 50, or 75-gallon tanks as your dragon grows, just opt for the 75 or 120-gallon tanks and let your dragon grow into it.
This is the most usual type of cage provided for these docile reptiles. Glass aquariums are considerably economical. They can also be bought easily at local pet stores or on local market sites such as Craigslist. The main drawbacks are that they are weighty and also not well insulated. A heavy tank can be burdensome to move. In addition to this, once it’s set up with the beardie inside, you’ll not be likely to move it. And while bearded dragons might not have any problem with the lack of insulation, some of their owners observe that a lower temperature lightens the reptile’s color.
These confines are made of melamine board, a type of wood that is coated with a laminate finish. You can easily construct a melamine cage or purchase one at your local pet store. These enclosures duplicate the zoo-going experience. This means that the bearded dragon can only be seen from one side of the cage, however you can paint the boards inside the cage plain white to reflect light. You may also install an artificial rock surface at the back and side of the enclosure to imitate a more natural habitat for your pet.
A PVC confine is made of a type of plastic, hence it is not burdensome to move around than a melamine enclosure. Unfortunately, they are more expensive than their melamine alternative. Still, many pet owners find PVC plastic to be more appealing compared to the melamine board enclosures.
There are several high-end companies that make quality cages for reptiles. These cages are professional-grade and made of one molded piece of plastic. They are quite expensive but many breeders favor them because they are conveniently stackable. More than that, they are also chemically resistant, easy to clean and shipped with a built-in heat lamp. Professional cages are, therefore, the best cages available.
An important factor when choosing an enclosure is its security. You don’t want your bearded dragon to be in an enclosure that allows it to escape easily in the middle of the night, or while you are away. Many fish tanks, or vivariums that are specially designed for reptiles come with a heavy metal screen cover that fits snugly on the enclosure. These are ideal design when using a glass or acrylic enclosure. Make sure it is a full metal screen cover as it will provide maximum security and safety for your pet. Do not use solid lids of plastic or glass. Plastic screens will melt easily with the heat lamps that you will use to warm the enclosure. Glass, on the other hand, will filter UVB rays that are essential to your bearded dragon’s health. This can also limit the airflow in your dragon’s tank.
It is also a good idea to use a locking lid if you have small children or other pets inside your home. You don’t want young children, or Felix the cat to go exploring in your bearded dragon’s home. I recommend using a 120-gallon glass enclosure with a snug-fitting heavy metal screen cover for your bearded dragon’s home enclosure. It is relatively inexpensive and will last you and your bearded dragon for many years!
Top 10 Best Bearded Dragon Cages
A good bearded dragon cage should have plenty of room for your bearded dragon to move and should be safe for your bearded dragon. When looking for the best bearded dragon cages, ensure that the cage is at least 40 gallons (150 liters) and is secure.
1. Carolina Custom Cages Terrarium; Easy Assembly
Carolina Custom Cages makes a large variety of well-constructed cages. You can pick from any of the eleven terrarium sizes available. Each cage is made with a waterproof base and a lock on the doors to keep your bearded dragon and your belongings safe.
Carolina Custom Cages are sturdy with easy-to-clean glass and crisp black edging. You’ll love the large doors, making cleaning and arranging easy. Your bearded dragon will love the screen top, which gives him plenty of fresh air during the day.
- Our growing family of Carolina Custom Cages Terrariums are very easy to assemble and come in 21 different models. The 24”L models and the 36”L models feature hinged doors. The 48”L and 72”L models feature sliding doors. All terrariums feature key-lock security.
- The Bio Deep models feature a 12” deep waterproof base. The Bio Deep Hybrid models feature 9” and 12” deep waterproof bases. All other models feature a waterproof base that is: 4” deep on the 18”H models, 6.3” deep on the 24”H models and 7.5” deep on the 36”H models.
- 24Lx18Dx18H, 24Lx18Dx24H, 24Lx18Dx36H, 36Lx18Dx18H, 36Lx18Dx24H, 36Lx18Dx36H, 36Lx24Dx18H, 36Lx24Wx24H, 48Lx18Dx18H, 48Lx18Dx24H, 48Lx18Wx36H, 48Lx24Dx18H, 48Lx24Dx24H, 60Lx24Wx24H, Giant Deep 72Lx24Dx18H, 72Lx24Dx24H, 72Lx24Dx36H, Bio Deep 24Lx18Wx30H, Bio Deep 36Lx18Wx36H, Bio Deep Hybrid 18Lx18Wx42H, Bio Deep Hybrid 24Lx24Wx48H.
- Now with tougher cardboard and extra styrofoam for our double “box-inside-a-box” packaging for even better protection against UPS abuse. Carolina Custom Cages is a division of Carolina Designer Dragons, Inc.; a boutique breeder of bearded dragons, selections on our website.
Buyers love that this bearded dragon cage comes with a lock, but found that the doors can be difficult to open and close without help of the key. The cage ships flat and is easy to assemble, making it easy to get your bearded dragon up and running in no time!
2. Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium
If you’re looking to a terrarium that’s similar in many ways to the Carolina Custom Cages but with a bit more of a “natural” feel, this is your cage! The Exo Terra terrarium is a beautiful design with a realistic sandy backdrop. Your bearded dragon will feel right at home with textured sandy wall. Many bearded dragons like climbing on this back wall. You’ll love the large swinging doors, which make cleaning and playing with your pet easy.
This terrarium comes in seven sizes, but we recommend the “large wide” size for your bearded dragon. This size is large enough for your dragon, and has a bigger floor area. Since bearded dragons spend more time on the ground than climbing, this is better than the “large tall” size.
This bearded dragon cage is shipped fully assembled, meaning you won’t have to spend any time tinkering with nuts and bolts to get started. Some users were disappointed to find that it broke while being shipped, so be sure to check for cracks before putting your bearded dragon inside.
- Glass terrarium for reptiles or amphibians
- Patented front window ventilation
- Raised bottom frame in order to fit a substrate heater; Waterproof bottom
- Dual doors for escape free access
- Closable inlets for wires and/or tubing management
Like the Carolina Custom Cage, the Exo Terra comes with locks and two swinging doors for extra safety. The bottom of this tank is sealed and is rated to hold water, which helps keep everything below the terrarium safe and dry!
3. Tetra Deluxe Aquatic Turtle Kit
While this terrarium is actually too small for most adult bearded dragons, it’s a great place to get started. We included it on this list of best bearded dragon cages because it includes so many great features!
This tank is a great starting size for your bearded dragon, plus it includes rocks, a basking light, and a decorative plant. Since this tank is designed for aquatic turtles, it holds water well. That said, many users were happy with how this tank worked for their bearded dragons. Simply fill the tank with sand and rocks instead of water!
This tank also includes both a UBV and heat lamp, saving you another shopping trip in case you forget them. The top of this tank is a removable screen. You might want to weight this top down to prevent your bearded dragon from pushing out.
- COMPLETE aquarium KIT: 20-gallon tank is ideal for aquatic turtles, and this kit includes all the essentials needed for success, including a decorative filter with cartridges, basking platform, heating lamp, boxwood plant mat and screen top.
- INCLUDES WATER FILTER: Decorative ReptoFilter instantly creates a beautiful waterfall while keeping water clean with 3-stage filtration.
- HEATING: Dome lamps are incorporated into the screen top for warmth and prime basking.
- CONVENIENT: Includes Tetra food and water care product samples – everything you need to get started.
- DIMENSIONS: aquarium measures 30 inches wide x 12 inches deep x 12 inches tall.
Since this tank is made to hold water, it does not have swinging open doors or a lock. This can make it a bit more challenging to interact with your bearded dragon.
4. Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Aluminum Screen Habitat
The Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Aluminum Screen Habitat has been specially made for arboreal lizards. Building this cage is quite easy and requires only a screwdriver. Featuring a white floor panel, you can easily decorate the cage with various colors of your choosing.
Another great feature is that this aluminum cage does not just have one but two doors— a smaller door at the bottom and the main door in front. The bottom door helps in easy cleaning of the substrate for the cage. This enclosure is made from aluminum so it resists corrosion and rusting that can last for many years to come.
- High Quality
- Package Weight : 9.616 kilograms
- Package Dimensions: 13.335 L x 137.795H x67.31W(centimeters)
- This product is Manufactured in China
Being a screen habitat, this bearded enclosure from Zoo Med allows circulation of air so that your lizard friend can breathe on fresh air.
5. KollerCraft Flat-Backed Reptile Habitat
If you are looking for a stylish bearded dragon enclosure, then look no more! The Flat-backed reptile habitat from KollerCraft has a unique shape which makes it look elegant and make your living room quite vivid.
With a 5-gallon capacity and measuring 10 x 19 x 12 inches, this enclosure is big enough for a bearded dragon and other kinds of reptiles. Its sturdy screen top will make sure that your lizard buddy will not have a chance to escape as well as providing a good air circulation.
- 5-gallon reptile habitat ideal for small animals and bugs, including crickets, hermit crabs, frogs, lizards, and snakes
- Wide flat-backed design provides ample viewing space
- Heavy duty metal screen top keeps pets safely secured
- Seamless acrylic construction offers a crystal clear view; resistant to impact and child-friendly; plastic plants not included
- Measures 10 x 19 x 12 inches (WxHxL)
Its wide flat-backed designs allow you to watch your lizards for hours. This enclosure has plenty of spaces so you can add branches or hammocks in order to create an ideal habitat for bearded dragons.
6. Zilla Fresh Air Screen Habitat
The Zilla Fresh Air Screen Habitat features a very durable and waterproof PVC base which allows whatever substrate you wish to add for your lizard buddy. It is designed for arboreal lizards and is quite easy to assemble.
It has 2 cage doors that grant you accessibility during cleaning and feeding time. Both doors can be locked securely so that your bearded dragon will never have a chance o escape. The cage is made of durable aluminum which guarantees that it will not rust. Its black mesh is also durable that not a bite or scratch from your bearded dragon can ruin it, plus allowing air to circulate the inside of the enclosure.
- Fresh air screen habitat made of aluminum frame is sturdy and long lasting
- Black mesh Screening is strong and Escape-Proof
- Pvc bottom is durable and water-resistant
- Cord access port allows use of power cords and tubing
- Easy to assemble
The enclosure also allows tubes and cable cords for electric equipment. There are 2 options for the size, but both sizes are big enough to accommodate your bearded dragon.
7. Zilla Tropical Starter Kit for Reptiles
For first-time bearded dragon owners, the ReptiHabitat from Zoo Med Laboratories can help you have an ideal habitat for bearded dragons in one go. This particular habitat is of high quality and has all the needed items in order to create the most ideal and comfortable habitat for your bearded dragon.
At an affordable price, this bearded dragon enclosure is made from high-quality materials making it very durable and sturdy. It also has enough space for your reptilian buddy to crawl around and still add some decorations that increase your lizard’s happiness.
- A perfect habitat for your small arboreal reptile or amphibian
- Front opening door allows for easy access
- Hinged lid allows for additional access and the powder coated screen resists rust
- 5" Deep water tight bottom allows for unique water features or the perfect mini paludarium
- Kit Includes:12"x12"x18" Glass Front Opening Terrarium, Rock Like Foam Background, Front Locking Latch and Locking Pin, Hinged Screen Top, Mini Halogen Dome with Bulb, Coconut Husk Bedding, Humidity and Temperature Gauge, Feeding Dish, and Setup Guide
Lastly, manufacturers of the Reptile Starter Kit makes sure that you only have the most satisfactory experience with their products and provided the unit a reinforced packaging so that it is not damaged when it arrives on your front door.
8. Zoo Med Laboratories ReptiHabitat
The Zoo Med Laboratories ReptiHabitat is another starter kit for first time bearded dragon owners who are not yet willing to buy all parts one by one, This particular kit makes caring for a bearded dragon a breeze because it comes with the necessary features you will need for your reptilian buddy to have a happy living.
And although this enclosure might not have a durable glass like the ExoTerra, it is definitely worth the money and will provide you with good value since it comes with a very reasonable price.
- 10 gallon glass tank
- Easy to set up
- Easy to maintain
- Zoo Med Laboratories Reptihabitat Leopard Gecko Kit
- Includes everything you need for your leopard or African fat-tail gecko
It is sturdy enough to secure a bearded dragon and is quite easy to set up. It is also very easy to clean and allows fresh air to come into the enclosure for your bearded dragon to breathe in.
9. Southern Enterprises Terrarium
This terrarium is one of the most beautiful bearded dragon cages I’ve ever seen. Rather than just being a cage, this terrarium is a decorative stand that will be a gorgeous addition to your home. Rather than having a screen top, this terrarium has slits along each side. This means you’ll want to use larger gravel in the bottom, so you don’t get sand anywhere!
Like most other bearded dragon cages, this cage has two doors that swing open. This helps keep your dragon warm and safe while you clean. Since this terrarium is also a coffee table, you will need to rely on heated rocks instead of heat lamps to keep your bearded dragon warm.
Some buyers reported that this terrarium did not feel very sturdy, so be careful what you use for decoration with this piece. You also will want to be careful to ensure that sand, gravel, and your bearded dragon can’t escape through the slits or the doors. The doors do not lock, so be sure that you close them securely before leaving your bearded dragon unattended.
- Refreshing cocktail table features a terrarium style garden or display for showcasing plant life and two included holes for air flow
- Bring your lowlight houseplants, succulents, and potted cacti indoors for gardening fun
- Black finish with silver distressing finish combines with a double door compartment for style and functionality
- The unique coffee table is made with tube metal, 5mm tempered glass, and iron sheet
- Furniture item measures 42. 5 inches wide x 21 inches deep x 18. 5 inches high and weighs 58. 6 pounds
Southern Enterprises makes a variety of other decorative terrariums, but this option seems to be the one most commonly used for holding lizards and turtles.
10. SeaClear 40 gal Acrylic Aquarium Combo Set
If you’re looking for a nice, basic bearded dragon cage, this is your best bet. This long terrarium has no bells and whistles but will hold your bearded dragon and keep him safe. The SeaClear terrarium comes with a light that helps you see your beautiful bearded dragon cage. However, you will still need to purchase a heat lamp for your bearded dragon.
- Combo includes aquarium, reflector and electrical 24" light fixture
- Acrylic aquariums are clearer than glass, 17 times stronger, and only half the weight!
- More impact resistant and less prone to chipping or cracking than glass, making it safer around children and pets
- Safe for Salt or Freshwater
- You won't believe how your fish and decorations will pop when viewing this beautiful SeaClear aquarium
This aquarium has acrylic glass, which is more scratch- and shatter-proof than normal glass. You will need to purchase some additional mesh to cover the roof, since this tank has gaps for easy feeding. This tank has a sleek, minimalistic look when done. Instead of having the regular back trim, the glass wraps around. The lighting on it is stunning! Some users found it difficult to clean this cage because of smaller openings on top, but the visual display is worth it.
What features are part of the best bearded dragon cage?
Getting the perfect bearded dragon cage is only half the battle. When you’re setting your new cage, be sure that your bearded dragon cage is at least 40 gallons (150 liters). This will ensure that your bearded dragon has plenty of room to roam as he grows.
You can’t simply put your new bearded dragon into a clean terrarium and be done with it. You will need to purchase several other supplies to keep your bearded dragon’s happy and healthy!
Aside from correct sizing, it’s also important to gather some other equipment for your bearded dragon.
Other necessary items
- 100 watt heat lamp bulb to keep your favorite reptile species basking in healthy UVA and UVB rays
- Self ballasted mercury vapor bulb self regulates and does not output damaging UVC radiation
- Helps appetite, activity, beautiful colors, and allows calcium absorption through vitamin D3 production. Also needed to prevent metabolic bone disease.
- Works for turtles, bearded dragons, lizards, reptiles, birds, terrariums, and aviaries.
- 10,000 Hour Lifespan
This is important for keeping your bearded dragon warm. Keep in mind that you can’t use a basking light with a glass-top terrarium, so you’ll have to use heated rocks instead.
- All natural green" product"
- 11 diameter x 2" deep"
Your bearded dragon gets most of his water from the food he eats, but he might enjoy a dip in a pool. Large, shallow water bowls also help keep your cage sufficiently humid for your pet.
Make your bearded dragon feel at home with a nice, sandy substrate. Sand makes your cage beautiful and keeps your bearded dragon happy and healthy by providing digging and exfoliating options.
It’s hard to keep real plants alive in your bearded dragon’s tank because of their tendency to eat plants. Fake plants will add a bit of colorful beauty to your bearded dragon’s cage.
Hiding and perching places
- Rock formations that appear realistic inside the terrarium
- Satisfy your pet's desire to find a place to hide and cool down
- Provides and elevated platform for your pet to bask and warm up
- Non-porous exterior resists bacterial growth
- Easy to clean with warm, soapy water and rinse
Your bearded dragon needs some places to hang out that make him feel safe and comfortable. Giving him a variety of high-up perches and safe caves will let him decide what sort of seat he wants for the day!
- Electronically controlled heating element
- LED on/off indicator
- Promotes natural behavior; Facilitates digestion
- Fully encased element; Energy efficient
- Large; Easy to clean; 1-year warranty
Heated rocks are a great way to let your bearded dragon warm himself up. You should have both a heated rock and a heat lamp if you’re in a cooler climate. These rocks blend right into most terrariums.
Temperature and humidity monitor
Since bearded dragons can’t regulate their own body temperature like mammals can, you need to keep a close eye on the temperature in his cage. Get a good temperature and humidity monitor so that you can modify the temperature and humidity to keep your bearded dragon comfortable.
There are a variety of bearded dragon cages out there. All of the best bearded dragon cages are large enough to get started with. Whether you’re looking for a sleek design, multi-purpose functionality, or just a basic setup, you’ll be able to find what you need for your bearded dragon to get started. We’d love to know what bearded dragon cage works best for you. Let us know what you’re using for your bearded dragon in the comments below and we might add it to the list!