In this article, we’re going to review the best Syrian hamster cages currently on the market. Are you ready? Let’s get started!
- What Type Of Cage Does A Syrian Hamster Need?
- Top 6 Syrian Hamster Cages
- Best Top Range Cage – Lixit Animal Care’s Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage
- Best Mid-Range Cage – Ferplast Favola Hamster Cage
- Best Budget Cage – Habitrail Cristal Hamster Cage
- Best Fun Cage – Midwest Critterville Arcade Hamster Cage
- Best Three-Tier Cage – IRIS USA Inc., Hamster Cage
- Best Outdoor Cage – Petsfit Bunny Outdoor Cages
What Type Of Cage Does A Syrian Hamster Need?
Syrian Hamsters are tiny creatures but with huge personalities without a doubt. The first thing to note is that hamsters can be territorial. You heard it right! Syrian Hamsters or so-called golden hamsters must be kept alone in their cages. Placing another hamster(s) with them will often cause them to fight which can obviously be detrimental to their health.
With that in mind, consider the following factors before buying your Syrian hamster a cage:
Cages for Syrian Hamsters normally come in three styles wire cages, glass aquariums, and modular plastic cages. This is largely a matter of taste and all work effectively, so choose according to what you think looks better.
Bigger is always better even for a single animal, so where possible go for bigger enclosures – Hamsters love to roam around. Always purchase a cage at least 12”x 24” in size.
Enough space between the bars is necessary to allow air to pass through the cage. Wire cages are better ventilated compared to the other cage’s styles.
Easy To Clean
Keeping the cage clean is vitally important since the health of your pet dramatically depends on how clean its habitat is. An enclosure with a bottom tray is recommended as it makes it much easier for easy cleaning. Wiping the bars is also important to maintain a hygienic shelter for hamsters.
Hamsters have small feet that are prone to get stuck in bars. Bar spacing should be ½” apart to prevent escape. Carefully check the type of flooring the cage has. It is better to look for a plastic tray flooring to protect those small feet.
Hamsters are playful pets and need enrichment and something to do in their cages. Put some toys like a hamster wheel in the cage for the pet to enjoy. Not too much though! Avoid adding unnecessary stuff that may harm your pet.
Top 6 Syrian Hamster Cages
Best Top Range Cage – Lixit Animal Care’s Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage
If you are aiming for a spacious and more personalized cage for hamsters, pick no other than the Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage. It is an extra-large cage with plenty of room for the pet to live and have fun in.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: the cage comes with lots of accessories including tunnels, exercise wheel, two houses, a penthouse, a water bottle and more.
- HUGE SIZE: The hamster heaven metro cage lets you build a heavenly home for you hamster. The cage measures 80cm x 50 cm x 50cm with 9.5mm bar spacing.
- LARGE BASE: The large lower area ensures your pet will have lost of frolicking and tunneling fun.
- EASY TO MOVE: the cage comes with two large handles so you can move the cage to any location. The large door gives you easy access to your hamster.
- The cage is proudly made in Belgium. Additional tubes are available to customize you hamster house.
The cage is large but easy to assemble. It is built with quality plastic materials, which are easier to clean than other large cages.
It has a deep plastic base large enough to lay down good amounts of hamster bedding as well as food and water dishes. The top is made of wire-mesh for improved airflow. The cage has two access doors, one large front door, and a top door.
It also comes with some great accessories, including an exercise wheel, hideaways, ramps, and ladders. There are also plenty of tubes, which are large enough to allow the hamster to pass through them easily. There is also space on top of the cage to add additional accessories also.
- Allows you to be creative with their living space
- Includes several good quality, colorful accessories
- Deep base great for burrowing
- Flexible bars which were quite easily bent
- The exercise wheel might be slightly too small for large hamsters
Best Mid-Range Cage – Ferplast Favola Hamster Cage
This is a great, simple-looking mid-range cage for hamsters. Though it appears plain, the overall design is good. It is a two-floor structure cage with separate rooms for relaxation and playing. Its broad base reduces the spreading up of bedding on the top level, which contains the food and water.
- Hamster Cage Includes 2 Spacious Floors; First floor is a deep 4.75 height inches to promote playful borrowing w/ a Hamster friendly plastic ramp (no pinched toes) for easy access to the plastic top level where their food dish, water & hide away preside
- Fully equipped & modular designed hamster cage; Favola includes a food dish, water bottle, hide away, 5.5 inch exercise wheel & a connecting port for play tubes to connect to other hamster cages
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage: Top panel features an access door & entire wire portion & middle plastic section of the cage disconnects from the transparent base for easy cleaning access
- Large Living Space: Hamster cage measures 23.6 length x 14.4 width x 11.8 height inches, deep base measures 23.6L x 14.4W x 4.75H (approx. 340 square inch base), wire top mesh is 1/4 inch wide, exercise wheel is 5.5 inch diameter
The modular designed cage is fully equipped with all of the important accessories – it comes with a large exercise wheel, a hideaway, and also food and water dishes. Being modular, it also has connecting ports to attach to other hamster cages so you build even larger enclosures later on.
Excellent ventilation is provided by its wire-mesh top, and it has ample living space. Additionally, the top panel can be detached from the bottom portion for cleaning. There is also a small top door for easy maintenance.
A one year warranty covers all parts.
- Allows future expansions
- Offers ample space
- Well-styled cage
- Has only one door
Best Budget Cage – Habitrail Cristal Hamster Cage
This is the best affordable hamster cage we’ve found on the market. It’s low cost but still has all of the quality features you need for a happy hamster. It features wire mesh construction for proper ventilation, as well as a variety of accessories.
- Durable, safe, and comfortable hamster house
- Hamster cage comes with hamster hideout to satisfy a hamster’s natural need to explore and hide
- Easy to clean and designed to provide excellent air circulation
- Allows easy connection to other Habitrail items, such as the Habitrail Hamster Tunnels, using our patented lock connectors (sold separately)
- Hamster habitat measures 16 L x 10 W x 9.5 H inches (40.64 x 25.4 x 24.13 centimeters)
It is a perfect starter cage for a Syrian hamster even though it’s not as big as many of the other cages.
The cage comes with a complete set of good and water dishes, a litter guard, a look-out deck with ladder, and an exercise wheel. Its large front opening makes feeding and cleaning a lot easier. Enough space is provided to let the hamster happily play inside the cage.
It includes good quality lock connectors to attach the accessories firmly on to the cage. The accessories can be detached from the cage effortlessly for easy cleaning.
- Affordable price
- Easy to assemble
- Has a complete set of accessories
- Smaller than other cages, so best used as a starter cage
Best Fun Cage – Midwest Critterville Arcade Hamster Cage
The Midwest Critterville Arcade Hamster Cage has several unique features, and all for an affordable price. It is a fun home for hamsters with its multi-level play space. All of the accessories come included, such as an exercise wheel, nesting nook, and interior play tubes.
- Fun Arcade Hamster Home features a cool multi-level play space to watch your hamster in action 18.11 length x 11.4 width x 21.5 height inches, 6.1 pounds
- Hamster Home includes free accessories to get you started. Exercise wheel, water bottle, food bowl, nesting nook and interior play tubes
- Arcade Hamster Home features a deep base to contain hamster bedding, a convenient top door for easy access to your pet and a removable upper cover for easy cleaning
- Hamster Home is modular in design and includes connector pieces to fit standard play tubes if you want to connect to another hamster habitat
We loved the fact that assembly was very simple and no tools were required. It is a modular type of enclosure with a vertical play space. Underneath is a room for burrowing, feeding, and relaxing while on top is an area for fun activities. The hamster can go through the play tubes and roam upwards and downwards through the cage. Clever non-slipping ramps make it easier for the hamster to move between the spaces.
You can also expand the pets home someday through its connecting rings. We particularly liked the cage’s fine bar spacing to secure your pet. There is top door access for feeding and cleaning. The upper level has a removable transparent cover for easy cleaning.
- A full-packaged cage
- Encourages better burrowing
- The assembling process is somewhat tricky
- Can be a bit more difficult to clean
Best Three-Tier Cage – IRIS USA Inc., Hamster Cage
This is the perfect small three-tier cage that will make your pet feel at home. Despite its size, the pen offers a great playspace for your little friend and comes with a complete set of accessories. It is an extremely popular model and seems to be often out of stock, so if you see it available catch it while you can!
- 3-level pet habitat; great for small animals and critters
- Provides a safe, well ventilated, fun and comfortable place for pet
- Comes with a wheel, water bottle and food dish
- Three different levels for your pet to climb up to
- Measures 17.72 x 12.20 x 19.29-inches
It is a three-level pet habitat connected with non-slip ramps and platforms. Each level offers different interesting experience for the pet. The hamster can also freely climb up the cage with safety and fun.
The cage includes food and water dishes, a nice quiet exercise wheel, and ramps. It is made from plastic, which means easier to clean. (However, hamsters do sometimes have a terrible habit of chewing on plastic materials that might harm their health, so it’s a good idea to keep an eye on this and swap out chewed plastic items if necessary).
We love the front design which is made of clear plastic so that you can view the hamster all day. It has three openings, two on top, and a side door.
- Easy to clean
- Minimal design
- Allows superior supervision on pet
- The included water bottle was a bit small
Best Outdoor Cage – Petsfit Bunny Outdoor Cages
Like a rabbit, a Syrian hamster loves to run around its cage. Therefore, a bunny cage is also suitable for this kind of pet and we this the Petsfit cage is the best option for this. Get ready to introduce your hamster to the outside world!
- Spacious Space: 31.5"L x 26"W x 46"H. The two-story rabbit cage is ideal for 1-2 rabbits and similar-sized pets such as guinea pig, hamster and ferret, providing more room for pets to run up & down with a solid non-slip wood ramp (5.2” wide) inside.
- Practical Design: 2 pull-out trays for each level, handy for cleaning up. Roof can be opened, additionally three front doors make you reach critters from any points. The top floor can be closed off with a vertical door (6.3” wide) if you want pets separated.
- Safe & Solid: 100% Finnish spruce timber and treated with water-based paint, healthy for pets. Thicker panel & mesh wire than others ensures good sturdiness. Galvanized pull-out tray. Roof covered with asphalt keeps pets dry for outdoor.
- Adorable & Stylish: Classical cottage look with a flower balcony, fits decor easier indoor & outdoor. Top floor is divided into 2 rooms to use. Outstanding ventilation & vision for your pets with 3 doors to open & metal meshes around.
- Tips for Use: A litter box (with hay) in the corner would be better if he/she had been well trained. Recycled newspapers, puppy pads or fleece mat on the tray would be good choice to clean up. For boredom chewers, providing them some wood sticks, newspaper or fresh vegetables on a regular basis.
It is a combination of wooden and wire materials resulting in a sturdy cage for small animals. The doors are lockable to keep unwanted visitors out and prevent your pet from escaping. The materials also mean your pet will not be able to chew through the cage like some of the smaller plastic models. The cage looks a bit like a dog house with two floors. The lower part has more ventilation than the upper room due to the wire-mesh surrounds.
This is a great cage to decorate without affecting the needed space of your pet. There are pre-drilled holes to hold the added accessories.
Its hinged roof design is weatherproof and can be opened for cleaning purposes.
- Can shelter more than one Syrian hamster
- Tough construction
- Customizable huge cage
- Requires a bit of assembly
Overall, I agree when it is mentioned earlier that the Syrian hamster must be kept alone in a cage. There are many cases of wicked behavioral acts done by these pets when they live together in one space. So, it is better to provide separate cages at an affordable price to protect them better. You can choose on the provided list above, which best suits your pet’s needs.
Do not forget to check on the essential factors a cage for Syrian hamsters must have to end up with the best enclosure. Be wise in picking the right dwelling for your dearest hamster.