Another pet has come our way, a hedgehog. These are tiny creatures that usually lived in the wild but can also live indoors to be your pet. Choosing the best hedgehog cage needs so much attention for it will spend much of its time on its cage playing around and also by hiding for they are a shy-type kind of pet.
We’ll be going to mention some popular brands that are known for their quality cages products for small animals including a hedgehog. Let’s get it started!
- Top 10 Best Hedgehog cage
- 1. Critter Nation with Stand by Midwest Homes
- 2. Living World Deluxe Habitat
- 3. Pet Habitat by AmazonBasics
- 4. Small Animal Habitat by You & Me
- 5. Pig Cage by Ferplast
- 6. Chew Proof High Rise Cage by Ware Manufacturing
- 7. Small Animal Home by Prevue Pet Products
- 8. Kaytee My First Home Habitat for Small Animals
- 9. Wabbitat Deluxe Rabbit Home Kit by MidWest Homes for Pets
- 10. 4 Level Indoor Hutch/Animal Cage by PawHut
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the appropriate space for the Hedgehog cage?
- Is there a needed specific temperature for a hog?
- Can I put two hedgehogs together in one cage?
- How can I add comfort to my hedgehog?
- What are the things I must consider in choosing the right cage for a hedgehog ?
Top 10 Best Hedgehog cage
1. Critter Nation with Stand by Midwest Homes
It is a 36″L x 24″W x 63″H three-leveled cage with two stories (each one has lockable doors) that lets hedgehog climb freely and safely, upside and downside. Midwest Homes never abandon the natural habitat of every hedgehog which is the trees for they can actually feel like it when they’re inside the cage. Furthermore, it is roomy that make your hog run around freely and is safe because of its ramp covers that avoid those tiny feet to get stuck.
But, it is more expensive than any other cages and it is worth the price. Lastly, it is built with multiple attaching points for more accessories.
- Enclose by horizontal wire with not-so-wide spacing to prevent a hog from getting hurt and allows them to climb easily.
- Can be easily accessed in cleaning and feeding.
2. Living World Deluxe Habitat
The Habitat is available in 3 sizes including the standard size, large size, and a larger size which is highly recommended for a hog to freely run on its own habitat. It is built with non-toxic and quality plastic and metal wire for the base and frame, respectively. Your pet will feel protected from the inside and out. Inside the cage, there is a veranda-like spot, a hideout for your pets, tip-proof dish and a ramp.
Deluxe Habitat is highly ventilated that’ll make your hog feel comfortable.
- It can be opened on top which makes it easier to clean and prevents the pet from getting outside unattended.
- Another door opening in front for more access to your pet’s needs.
- Easily assembled by using plastic clips without the help of any tools.
- Includes more accessories in purchased such as a bowl, water holder and hay storage.
3. Pet Habitat by AmazonBasics
The easiest to access for cleaning, feeding, and pampering of hog habitat as it has wide openings at the top and in front. Inside the habitat, there’s a balcony for a wider view on the outside for your pet to see, a hideout for safety and for resting and an easy to access ramp that allows your pet to happily go up and down. It also comes with many accessories such as water and food holder which are placed outside the cage where it cannot greatly affect the space for your pet.
Simply structured but accommodates your pet securely and can render a perfect cage for your hog.
- The frame is made of iron wire that ensures its sturdiness and the base made of quality plastic material that renders a comfy environment to your pet.
- It can be assembled with no use of any tools.
- It has a limited 1-year warranty.
4. Small Animal Habitat by You & Me
A lengthy cage for a hedgehog who loves to play and be clumsy at all times. It is measured 40” long and 17.5” wide which is greatly appropriate for a hog to get enough space during its playtime. Additionally, you can check your hog’s needs anytime for the cage has its openings on top and in front which are easily reached. It doesn’t have many accessories aside from a ramp and a platform that makes it more spacious than any other cages.
The downside of this cage is it doesn’t have a hideout for your hog which can make it feel unease.
- Detachable wheels to prevent it from moving when in one place.
- A deep base to hold more residues.
5. Pig Cage by Ferplast
As its name says, it is primarily made for a guinea pig but also suitable for a hedgehog as they’re not far on their sizes. The front door can be totally opened for more access on your pet and in cleaning the cage and it is undeniably spacious for a hog to run to and also a small opening on top to prevent the pet from getting out of the cage. There are a lot of accessories included in the package such as a built-in covered shelter and water and food holders.
As seen on its structure, it is basically good for maintenance.
- Structured considering your pet’s safety by coating the frame to prevent your hog from biting on it.
- It can be assembled with no use of any tools.
- The door is locked through a durable plastic clip.
6. Chew Proof High Rise Cage by Ware Manufacturing
This prevents any predator to come near to your hog for it is highly structured in three-story that makes it more challenging for them to go nearby. As long as the hog been in the cage, it can have a joyful sight without worrying about the harm of predators. The materials used are chew resistant that means it won’t also harm your hog’s well-being.
- You can attach a 10-gallon aquarium (not included in the package) to make it a high rise habitat.
- Top door opening for an easy access to the pet.
- Contains slopes and shelves for your pet to roam around.
7. Small Animal Home by Prevue Pet Products
It is a cage where you can customize as you can remove the ramp and the platform to provide more space on your pet. There’s a door on top and on the side which is useful in maintaining the cleanliness of the whole cage and is lockable. Hence, it must be pulled to pieces for it to be totally cleaned.
- A deep base which offers more room for more accessories to be attached.
- Proper bar positioning to avert your pet from escaping.
- Made of lightweight materials thus easy to handle.
8. Kaytee My First Home Habitat for Small Animals
A perfect starter cage for hedgehog owners for it is made with simple yet wonderful design measured 30”L X 19.5”H X 18”W and is very light in weight. Also, it is available in variations of color that add up to its interesting appearance. Unlike other cages, it has no top opening but only a front door which is wide enough to get better access on the inside.
This way of a better start to pet your hog without spending too much money on getting more accessories to it; it’s just really a simple one.
- The upper cover is made of tiny hardwires and has no opening while the base is made of durable plastic materials.
- It only weighs 8.82 pounds.
- No ramp, platforms and other accessories attach.
9. Wabbitat Deluxe Rabbit Home Kit by MidWest Homes for Pets
A home ideally for rabbits but also recommended for hedgehogs as it has the same food accessories and also the structure of the cage is just like a cage for hogs. The bars on top are positioned with 1” spacing to maintain ventilation and the brightness on the inside. Moreover, it has an opening on top for easy access to the pet and a side door for cleaning and feeding purposes.
- The feeding area is located in a higher area to prevent the base from getting messy which also results in a hideout underneath that area for your pet’s isolation.
- The side door can be totally opened.
- The base is 5.5″ deep that can bear more mess.
10. 4 Level Indoor Hutch/Animal Cage by PawHut
It has a 4 level room for a hog to play around and also has two doors for an easy access to the pet and for easy cleaning. A hog-friendly designed wherein its bar spacing is so small that it can’t hurt pet’s feet and it’s not just on top but all over the cage. It is made of plastic, metal and steel material that ensures its durability.
- It is colored white that appears so simple.
- Have four wheels for easy moving from place to place.
- There’s a waste collector underneath that can be removed and cleaned separately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the appropriate space for the Hedgehog cage?
Since hogs are small but active creatures thus they love a huge amount of space, make sure to purchase a larger size of the cage than your pet. For example, the hog can grow up to 8″ in length then you must prepare a 2X2 or 2X4 feet of a cage.
Is there a needed specific temperature for a hog?
Hedgehogs can hold up to 80-degrees heat and if you’ll be asking for the use of lamps, it will be needed if your house doesn’t hold that amount of heat. You will notice if the heat or cold affect your hog as their activeness fluctuates.
Can I put two hedgehogs together in one cage?
One characteristic of a hog is being an anti-social and for that reason you cannot be able to put two hogs in one cage; they might hurt each other. If you decide to put them together in one cage, take the responsibility to look over them once in a while to ensure their safety.
How can I add comfort to my hedgehog?
Hedgehog is so active that it certainly needs more rest and by putting soft stuff (such as paper shavings, towel, pillowcases and so on) on the base of its cage can add comfort when it rested. Be certain that the stuff you used is absorbent and not allergy causing materials.
What are the things I must consider in choosing the right cage for a hedgehog ?
You’ll be going to buy a cage to pamper your pet comfortably and by being aware of the size of your pet you can also be aware of its cage’ size.
Since hedgehogs have very tiny feet, consider a 1” or less bar spacing to avoid pet from escaping.
Choose a cage with a plastic base for it provides more comfy feeling on hogs and it is easier to clean and more durable than metals which got rust in a long period of use.
A quality ventilation
These creatures are sensitive in smelling unpleasant odors like urine thus having a wire at the top of the cage can serve as ventilation for the pet.
Accessories such as water and food holder, ramp, hideout section, elevated areas and more are important for the wellbeing of your pet. Mostly, it is included on the purchased but on some products, it is sold separately.
Just like humans, animals deserve a home too. A Hedgehog even if lived like a wild animal in the forest has a soft heart that longs to have cared that’s why giving it its own home will be a great move for you to do. It’s not a hard thing to do for their habitat should be like that of rabbits, guinea pig or other small animals which are easily found in the market and most of it is inexpensive. Of course, you don’t want to let that active animal roam around your house thus buying it its own territory will lessen the ruin it could have done.
If you own a hedgehog the moment you read this, check on your pet’s habitat if it’s working really well and to someone who’s planning to have one, hope we’ve helped you to decide which cage is the best for your hog. We are open to your questions and recommendations. We’re excited to hear from you!